Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Punjabi Tandoor

Punjabi Tandoor
9235 Activity Rd
San Diego, CA 92126
(858) 695-0956
punjabitandoor.com

I found out about this place from another foody's blog (http://www.sandiegofoodblog.com/indian/punjabitandoor.html). After reading this stellar review from a rather harsh food critic I had to check it out. The food is pretty much just as he described: cheap, tasty and spicy. The food is a bit spicier than average but still tame enough for the missus to eat. The saag paneer is fantastic and you get a lot of it for about $4. The rice is amazing (very buttery) and the naan is about perfect (a little chewier than most, but in a good way).

The only real criticism I've heard about this place is that it's a little on the greasy side...but to me, that's how Indian food is supposed to be. For those not in the know, nearly all indian food is cooked with ghee (a type of clarified butter). Ghee is almost pure saturated fat which is likely to affect cholesterol levels when eaten regularly. Here's the wikipedia entry on ghee: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just curious if you have you tried Surati Farsan around the corner. I seem to be prefer southern Indian for vegetarian and northern cuisine when I'm gaming for tandoor or tika. Surati Farsan makes some awesome chaat and dosas!

Ian Miller said...

Wait a sec... did you say there's another place in San Diego that serves southern Indian cuisine? To date, everyone I talk to says that Madras Cafe is the only Southern Indian place in town. That's great news that there's a little competition!

I love Madras but I've been dying to try another Southern Indian place. I've never heard of Surati Farsan but will definitely check it out!

Anonymous said...

My wife and I ate at Punjabi Tandoor last night after hearing about it on the blogs.

Absolutely delicious food. And so cheap. We will be going back often.

Smriti said...

Just for info's sake, indian food was traditionally cooked in ghee, probably in my grandparents' era but no longer; slowly and gradually people started shifting towards oil as ghee became dearer and due to health reasons. Now it's cooked in oil.

I would say the Madras Cafe is as close as you can get to authentic south indian food in San Diego. Surati Farsan is good for chaat and the likes. It's hidden in their names: Madras aka Chennai is a city in southern India while "Farsan" means snacks which is essentially chaat/samosa/etc.

Punjab Tandoor is my favorite too - it's the best north indian food in SD! The next I would say is India Palace.