Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Rant: No expensive vegetarian food

Okay, so I'm normally one that gets excited to find cheap, good food. However, there are occasions when I find myself at a more upper class restaurant and I'm thoroughly disappointed by the vegetarian selection (and generally there is but ONE vegetarian selection).

I realize that we are a port city and that high-class cuisine is often synonymous with seafood, but this is also San Diego and there are more than a few vegetarians here. We vegetarians should not feel out of place and bored with the cuisine when we dine at high-class eating establishments.

I'm going to name names: C Level @ Island Prime (and nearly every other Cohn Restaurant Group restaurant) and Osetra: The Fish House have been my two most recent disappointments. Granted, these two places specifically have "meaty" names, but there should be no reason that their top-notch chefs can't get creative with a couple vegetarian selections.

Instead of any original dish, the vegetarian option at any high-class restaurant is almost invariably either pasta or risotto. Don't get me wrong, I adore pasta and risotto...but I can make both...and do on a regular basis...mostly because they're extremely cheap. So I don't tend to get too excited when they're offered as the only vegetarian option.

It's a slap in the face as if to say "we considered a vegetarian option and we decided you weren't worth any real effort or imagination so we'll make you some noodles." I blame the owners, the managers and the chefs for this nearsightedness and I expect more out of San Diego. Come on, fancy-schmancey restaurants. When I've got the money to lay down for a high-priced meal, you're going to have to earn my money.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,
If you're looking for an inexpensive experience, Loews Coronado Bay Resort has recently opened its herb garden tours to the public. (I work at Loews.)

Our 3,800-square-foot herb garden features more than 40 herbs and vegetables, including lavender, artichokes, strawberries, lemon verbena, broccoli, thyme and basil.

In addition to utilizing the garden for dishes, our Chefs provide 30-minute tours where guests (and locals) not only learn about cultivating and sustaining herbs, but also participate in a cooking demonstration and cocktail lesson. Examples include Mint Pesto and Basil Caipirinhas.

We offer tours every Friday at 2 p.m. Hope you can make it sometime.

Anne
619-424-4416

Anonymous said...

I forgot to add the price of the herb garden tours at Loews. They are $15 a person.

Smriti said...

Thanks for summarizing the feelings of a vegetarian :).