Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Greek buffet

Zorba's Greek Restaurant
(619) 422-8853
100 Broadway
Chula Vista, CA 91910

If you like Greek and you haven't been to Zorba's down in Chula Vista, you owe it to yourself to check it out. I know what you're thinking: Chula Vista? Greek? That's an odd combination. And yes it's pretty far for most people to drive, but when I want Greek food, it's the only place that I think of.

I've had some pretty good Spanikopita from some other shops around town and if I need something in my neck of the woods (North Park) I can always count on the Olympic Cafe near Texas and University. But when I want to treat the wifey and I (and a couple friends) we go down to Zorba's. Friday and Saturday nights have dancing and there's an extra charge so if you go those nights, get in and out before 8pm unless you're interested in the dancing.

The buffet is about $12/person but they have a ton of selection and everything is good (I can't speak for the meat, but my friends who eat meat tell me the Gyros are delicious). They always have Spanikopita, a bunch of salads, Mousaka and about 5 desserts. Other items rotate out fairly randomly.

The quality of some of the dishes can sometimes be inconsistent as they have different people in the kitchen, but the place is very Greek and you'll see first-generation Greeks eating there pretty frequently (always a good sign).

No comments: